In a major boost to Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s clarion call for ‘Aatmanirbharta’, the Ministry of Defence (MoD), in a landmark step, has offered four projects to the Indian Industry for design & development under the Make-I category of Defence Acquisition Procedure (DAP) 2020.
The industry will be provided financial support for the prototype development of these projects. The list of projects which were accorded ‘Approval In-Principle (AIP)’ by the Collegiate Committee of MoD is as follows:
- Indian Air Force: Communication Equipment with Indian Security Protocols (Routers, Switches, Encryptors, VoIP Phones and their software)
- IAF: Airborne Electro-Optical pod with Ground-Based System
- IAF: Airborne Stand-off Jammer
- Indian Army: Indian Light Tank
This is for the first time since the launch of industry-friendly DAP-2020 that the Indian Industry has been involved in the development of big-ticket platforms such as Light Tank and Communication Equipment with Indian security protocols.
In addition, AIP has also been accorded to the following five projects under the industry-funded Make-II procedure:
- Indian Air Force (IAF): Full Motion Simulator for Apache Helicopter
- IAF: Full Motion Simulator for Chinook Helicopter
- IAF: Wearable Robotic Equipment for Aircraft Maintenance
- Indian Army: Integrated Surveillance and Targeting System for Mechanised Forces
- Indian Army: Autonomous Combat Vehicle
Projects under the ‘Make-II’ category involve prototype development of equipment/system/platform or their upgrades or their subsystems/sub-assembly/assemblies/components, primarily for import substitution/innovative solutions, for which no Government funding will be provided for prototype development purposes.
The indigenous development of these projects in the country will help harness the design capabilities of the Indian defence Industry and position India as a design leader in these technologies.
Ministry of Defence in a landmark step towards #AtmanirbharDefence has approved 3 projects of Indian Air Force and 1 Project of Indian Army to be offered to Indian Industry for design & development under Make-I category of DAP-2020@PMOIndia @DefenceMinIndia @SpokespersonMoD pic.twitter.com/JY8FbE1Bj2
— Defence Production India (@DefProdnIndia) March 3, 2022